D7000 -- 24-120mm @ 70mm
ISO 400
1/500, f/5.6
Stopping and reading this sign was one of the more interesting bits of my day today, but as I learned (while standing cold on the street) long narrow signs with an ugly background aren't easy to take pictures of. The story the sign told is as follows:
Vancouver Vignette
(Tamee Doe)
It was three weeks after I had moved to Canada with my family. My father had found a better job in Vancouver than he had in Oregon, and we had to move. It took me three weeks to get over various oddities about this country - small things, really. Like McDonald's serving pizza. I did not have the nerve to try it, as I value my stomach highly and like to keep it in smooth running order. Also, it seemed that maple leafs were everywhere. If you ever forget you are in Canada, just look up. You are bound to see the leaf, the flag, or something proclaiming "Canada", "Canadian" or "Canucks".
I still knew nothing about the customs, although I got the distinct impression that Americans were not highly regarded. Not that I expected to be seen as superior. I just did not expect to be lumped into some undesirable catagory. I hadn't met many people yet. It was summer break. To make a long story shot, I had the feeling I was shoved into a bear pit with the disadvantage of having a steak tied over my head. I had some serious misgivings, and I couldn't wait for school to begin.
Then, in the third week, with my parents out, the doorbell rang. I was alone and cautious in answering the door. Two Chinese ladies stood there with a fruit covered cake that read "Welcome to BC". This was great! How thoughtful! How do I accept it? Should I invite them for some tea? My opinion of Canadians, Vancouverites especially, skyrocketed because of the gesture. Now all I had to do was smooth out the hiccups in my etiquette and speech and I would fit right in!
9:366

No comments:
Post a Comment